Welcome to the TV and movie edition of our weekly round-ups. In this FinalBoss feature, we’ll bring you bitesize chunks of the latest news from the movie and TV worlds. This week we get news from the John Wick world, another Tron movie and some remakes. We’ll have our regular round-up of casting news and take a look at the UK box office.
John Wick 4 and 5
The John Wick series is a rare example of a franchise that has grown in status as it’s progressed. A lot of franchises go the other way, check out the latest BossCast for examples! This week studio Lionsgate confirmed John Wick 4 is currently scheduled for May 27 2022. They then casually dropped in the news that they’ll be a fifth instalment. More interestingly they said they hope to shoot part 4 and 5 back-to-back early next year.
Tron 3 is on the way from Disney. The original Tron was released in 1982, followed nearly 30 years later by 2010s Tron: Legacy. Now a third outing is on the way, with Garth Davis on directing duties and Jared Leto confirming himself as starring.
I’m struck with such gratitude for the opportunity to bring this movie to life, especially as both the original video game and the film affected me so deeply as a young child. The fact that I get to be a part of this new chapter is mind-blowing. pic.twitter.com/94MN6tT8Bs
— JARED LETO (@JaredLeto) August 10, 2020
Three Men And A Baby Reboot
We’re never too far away from the announcement of an 80s movie getting a remake. This week, it’s comedy Three Men and A Baby from Disney. Zac Efron is the only name attached so far, presumably as one of the clueless men who get stuck with a baby.
Speaking of reboots, 90s comedy The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is getting the reboot treatment. The show made a star out of Will Smith, who will have a producer role in the new show, titled Bel-Air and set to be more of a gritty drama than a comedy.
Cast and Crew News
- Captain Marvel 2 is still a ways off but it now has a director. Nia DaCosta will helm the sequel. Her version of Candyman is due to be released later this year.
- Ryan Reynolds has another movie lined up. He’ll star in Everyday Parenting Tips from Paddington director Paul King.
- Pinocchio is yet another in the line of Disney remakes, and it’s attracting big-name talent. Robert Zemeckis will direct and it seems as if he’ll be reunited by Tom Hanks who is in talks to voice Geppetto. They’ve previously worked together on the likes of Forrest Gump and The Polar Express.
- The Mandalorian aside, not a whole lot of Star Wars news of late but there was some this week: the Cassian Andor show added Adria Arjona in an unspecified role. She’ll join Stellan Skarsgard and Genevieve O’Reilly who will reprise her Rogue One role as Mon Mothma.
- Jason Bateman is set to direct and produce SuperWorld, which has a really cool sounding premise. In 2038 everybody on Earth has superpowers with the exception of one man. Guess who has to step up to save the day?
UK Box Office
Cinemas continue to open around the UK and new releases are beginning to appear. Russell Crowe thriller Unhinged tops the charts for the second successive week and Onward continues to well. It’s been a fixture in the top 2 since cinemas returned. New release An American Pickle debuts in fourth place.
- 100% Wolf
- An American Pickle
- Jurassic Park
Whilst cinemas continue to fill out their schedules with classics, there are new movies being released as well. New films this week include Babyteeth, Pinocchio and Spree.
This weeks trailer is for the Ridley Scott produced Raised by Wolves. The sci-fi series is coming to HBO in September.